Welcome to my blog! I am a freelance farm and food safety writer who writes for people who eat food (eaters) and for people who grow food in North Carolina (NC farmers). Most of the articles in this blog cover the following five topics.
- Meat and dairy
- Farmworkers and immigration
- Food safety tips
- NC Agricultural Conferences
- Meet your local NC farmer
Meat and Dairy
- What happens when the only turkey processor in town shuts down a month before Thanksgiving?
- Summary of the "Meat Labels that Matter..." panel
- Conditions inside U.S. Poultry Processing Facilities...
- Advantages of buying pastured poultry during avian influenza outbreaks
- The relationship between bacteria and ethical meat
- A review of the book "The Mobile Poultry Slaughterhouse"
- Who owns your favorite meat brands?
- Protect the Quality of our Pork
- Five Tips for Milking a Cow
Farmworkers and immigration
- Shall we continue to deny people of color U.S. citizenship as a birthright?
- More than half of the workers on our farms are undocumented!
- What do you think about the wall, DACA, and the phrase “they are taking our jobs”?
Food safety tips
- How to eat and drink fewer raw eggs
- What's the difference between pasture-raised eggs and pasteurized eggs?
- Quiz: How many raw eggs did you eat this month?
- Home-canning Heirloom Tomatoes
NC Agricultural Conferences
- Highlights of the 2016 Carolina Food Summit
- The NC Choices Carolina Meat Conference
- Highlights from the 2016 Piedmont Grown Conference
Meet your local NC farmer
- Agritourism creates common interests between neighbors
- Getting Ready for the Farmers’ Market
- Celebrating Farmers at the Farmer's Ball
- Gifts of the Eastern Triangle Farm Tour
- Strawberry picking at the Collard Patch
- An Unexpected Purchase
- Dish: The Triangle’s Golden Age of Bread Is Fueled by Local Grains
- Leonard-Mobley Grant for small-scale farms in NC
- The launch of the Durham farm and food network
- Audio conversation between medical writers
- What is the bird flu?...